Friday, March 25, 2005

Re: Stonewalling On Torture, And Blatant Hypocrisy

March 25, 2005

Re: David Gregory and Terry Moran
From: Dean Lawrence R. Velvel
VelvelOnNationalAffairs.blogspot.com

Dear Colleagues:

I have been told by an email correspondent that David Gregory of NBC and Terry Moran of ABC were the two White House reporters who asked Scott McClellan about Bush’s views on whether torture had occurred, and who were stonewalled in response. The stonewalling further indicates felonious culpability for reasons explained in the last two blogs.

I cannot say whether my email correspondent is or is not correct as to who the two reporters were. If he is correct, have either Gregory or Moran dealt with the subject of Bush’s knowledge and culpability on their companies’ nightly TV newscasts, and, if so, what did they say? Why am I willing to bet dollars to pennies, however, that they have not dealt with the matter on their nightly news shows?*

*This posting represents the personal views of Lawrence R. Velvel. If you wish to respond to this email/blog, please email your response to me at velvel@mslaw.edu. Your response may be posted on the blog if you have no objection; please tell me if you do object.


Dear Dean Velvel,

I'm starting to suspect that neoconservatism is defined as blindly following George W. Bush on all matters as he decides them, whether his recent declarations are in line with the political beliefs we claim to ascribe to. It's funny - I wrote a friend the other day and said that Terri Schiavo is the new Elian. That mess went down around Easter as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Stephanie Kuenn

Larry

Least we forget that the bigots who fought integration and the Equal Rights Amendment did so on the basis of State's rights?

Harvey

Larry

Henry Kissinger was interviewed on television last week and asked if he supported torture in the case of alleged terrorism. He answered that in general, he does not support torture, but that in some situations, he does. This denial/non-denial makes absolute no sense and the interviewer never followed it up. This is like saying that as a general proposition, I don't support murder, but on occasion, when I feel there is an absolute need, I will make exceptions. Because of such cases, our laws will have to be amended (sic).

Harvey