Friday, December 17, 2004

Re: Harvard Law School Post

----- Original Message -----

From: "Dean Lawrence R. Velvel"
To:
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: HLS Post

Via Email
December 17, 2004
Dear Mr. Sistla:
Thanks much for your email. I am really pleased that you like the postings,
and appreciate your taking the time to tell me.

Sincerely,

Lawrence R. Velvel


----- Original Message -----

From:
To:
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 11:51 PM
Subject: HLS Post

Dean Velvel,

I read with considerable interest your post about Harvard Law School and its recent dealings (or lack thereof) with plagiarism among senior faculty members, the recent hiring of Jack Goldsmith III, and the recent plagiarism "scandal" at HLS.

I just wanted to bring to your attention this decision in the District for the District of Columbia: http://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/04-1258.pdf, which discusses (in part) and relates to your discussion about memos purporting to argue for the legality of the United States detaining
persons in other countries for the purpose of conducting torture.

For full disclosure, I am a third year law student at the University of Pennsylvania and as I seek to join legal academia I find your posts particularly interesting. I look forward to any thoughts you may have about legal scholarship in general. Most of it seems repetitive, unimaginative (or untenable), overlong and rarely well-written (also the title tends to proclaim much more than the paper actually accomplishes).

best regards, keep up the interesting posts,

alex sistla