Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Dear Mr. Gutek:

Thank you for your short but very trenchant email. You expressed what I mean, but did not say as well as you, when I mentioned the balm of time. Because of its true excellence, I shall post your email.

Lawrence Velvel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Gutek" <ggutek@luc.edu>
To: <velvel@mslaw.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: Overthrowing Mossadegh; Iranian Hatred For The U.S.;>

When I was a high school and undergraduate students, we often heard that> it was better to be "dead than red" and that Communist China should be> attacked, even by nuclear weapons, to end the threat. I think history> teaches us that those who told us this were wrong. There is no once and> for all in foreign relations--They are a continuum of events and> reactions, better diplomatic ones and negotiations, than once and for> all utopian solutions.

Gerald Gutek