Thursday, September 01, 2005

Subject: Marvelously Apt Description

September 1, 2005

Dear Colleagues:

I am always pleased when people email me about one posting or another. For it shows what one otherwise would never know -- that at least somebody out there in cyberspace is reading what one says. (For this reason I almost don’t mind it even when my friend Hulugu, in what he says is normal Internet-talk, describes me as a deluded, pinko, commie, stuck-in-the-1960s, left wing mothereffer who does not understand the need to kill all Muslims before Islamists kill all the rest of us. (I exaggerate, but only slightly I fear.)

Particularly because I do occasionally post Hulugu’s criticisms (rantings?), I thought to post a couple of more generous, and deeply appreciated, comments that were recently received. They are set forth below. I hope you all know that, if any of you have comments pro or con about individual postings or about the postings collectively, your views will be appreciatively received and, if you do not object (as people, especially publicly known ones, occasionally do for understandable reasons), your views one way or the other may be posted out of a desire to have a variety of opinions appear on the blog.*

*This posting represents the personal views of Lawrence R. Velvel. If you wish to respond to this email/blog, please email your response to me at velvel@mslaw.edu. Your response may be posted on the blog if you have no objection; please tell me if you do object.

-----
Original Message -----

From: Laura Gutman
To: http://www.blogger.com/
Cc: http://www.blogger.com/
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 3:07 PM
Subject: marvelously apt description

Dear Dean Velvel,

Today my husband happened upon your comments from early June about Thomas Friedman, and brought them to my attention. I write to congratulate you on a very fine use of colorful adjectives in the description of that prince of humbug. When you called him "one of the kings of continuously globetrotting, self aggrandizing, self important bloviation", I couldn’t resist letting you know that the delicious phrase is truly appreciated.

Many thanks, Laura Gutman, M.D.
* * * *

Dear Dean Velvel,

I appreciate your blog very much; I've been a faithful reader since I found it. Putting an end to dishonesty is crucial, but I believe equally important is our failure to give proper value to equality. We simply do not respect others as equals. That is apparent from much of what you write about, but I think it needs to be said in so many words.

Best,

Peter Young
Los Angeles

Comments to this post are onVelvel II.